WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Snow, snow, etc.

Small updates:

We are still at the hostel/cabins. Our food came in yesterday, which is what we were waiting for, but I also came down with some sort of stomach bug. We didn't want to get the other hikers sick so we moved into a cabin. It snowed all day yesterday and hasn't stopped snowing yet. As of right now it seems there are a few inches of snow on the ground - in the valley. Hikers that have come in said the trail was pretty bad. So, it seems I have some time to recover from this ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 3/25 Trapped in Gatlinburg

Woke up to snow and after debating with myself whether or not to hit the trail at Newfound Gap the Park Service made the decision for me by closing the only road to the trailhead. With wind advisories and heavy snow predicted for the high elevations it is probably just as well that I will be spending another day here in Gatlinburg. The motel I am staying at is jammed packed with hikers so I will have plenty of company as I while away the hours. Hopefully the road will be reopened tomorrow so I can ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 3/24 Weather Permitting?

Just one final note. Weather permitting I will begin a 5 day mountain trek from Newfound Gap to Hot Springs tomorrow morning. Due to battery concerns on my i phone my posts will be brief and sporadic at best. Take care and thanks again for all the love and support
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Springer on the 27th.

Eight days ago my mom told me that either I have a job by the 27th, or I take her credit card, get the gear I need to replace the things that broke last year and be on the Appalachian Trail by then. So, completely unexpectedly, I find myself running around like a chicken with its head cut off (much like last year) trying to get everything set up for me to be able to leave my entire life (even my name) behind for 6 more months, all within 10 days. It’s surprisingly easier to say goodbye this year. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. First Journal Post

I have a little bit over a month until I start my NoBo thru hike. I am determined to finish before mount Khatadin closes on October 15th. I finished ordering all my gear two days ago, and I am hoping my base weight is under 10 pounds like I calculated. Still need to buy my plane ticket to Atlanta.
    Categories
    Uncategorized