WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. My clothing system for the AT 9 Days till take off

by , 03-20-2013 at 13:42 (Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends)
    Deciding what to wear is such a personal thing. I know that every time I go out, I take less and less. This is the current version of the truth for this trip.

Base layer: Columbia bottoms -omni heat- I'm wearing them in the profile pic. Mt. Hardwear zip T for the top.

Hot weather: running shorts and Patagonia poly/wool T shirt - ultra light. Got it on sale for 70% off! Had a tiny snag :-) Love it

Cool weather: REI upf 30 Long sleeved button front. ...
  2. Back on the road again

Clay and I are leaving home AGAIN today, and heading back to the trail! We are very excited to be back and thrilled Clay didn't need to have surgery! After two "practice" days of 6+ miles/day, Clay feels confident and comfortable with his knee. We will be starting farther down the trail (Hot Springs) to ensure we will be able to summit Katahdin by the first week of August, so I can get back to NC in time for fall semester to start. We will be able to go back and finish the end of GA and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Appalachian Trail on Updated Google Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ferk View Post
    I used the AT GIS data provided the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and displayed it on Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...35&y=2&tmplt=2

I understand there are a few good options already available on the web (including ATC's interactive map). But, every available option uses Google
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 10 Days to the Trail and Counting and thoughts on the under quilt.

by , 03-20-2013 at 01:26 (Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends)
    Even though I've hiked the trail before and hiked other trails for years, I still obsessively review my gear, my plans, my food plans. I pack, repack; weigh and reweigh my pack. I go through my clothing and then head for the thrift shops looking for lighter shirts, or better vests or silk shells that are more comfortable than cotton t-shirts.

When it gets really hot, the silk is wonderfully light and breathable. Thrift store silk shells are less than a couple bucks. I toss them ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 3/19 Cold Again

Cold again. Hiked 15.8 miles from NOC to Brown Fork Gap. Total of 153.1 m 2032 to go. After spending rainy night at NOC, Blue skies and cool winds. After breakfast at Rivers End Cafe I hit trail. Planning on meeting my best friend and love of my life in Hot Springs NC in 12 days and 137 miles away so need to pick up my pace. Despite several steep climbs made good progress. Rolled into Brown Fork about 5pm Feet held up well. Tomorrow Fontana Dam. Camping in woods - low 20's tonight. Here we go ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized