WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Food Packaging

Have prepackaged 60 meals today. This will be enough with a purchase or two at the towns I will pass thru. The 23rd approaches quickly and with each day I grow closer to being ready. In respect to the wife I'm looking forward to the hike yet wondering about her demise here at home. Oh well, dang if i do dang if I don't.:-?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Went to doctor

Went to doctor today.
    I have walking pneumonia with bronchitis. They are treating the swelling as fluid buildup due to low potassium and low protein. Got to go back on Thursday and they will check it again. Taking meds to see if it comes up.
    Doctor says will get me back on my feet so I can get back on trail.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 3/18 noc

Today was a light day. Only 5.9 miles (mainly down hill) from Wesser Bald Shelter to the Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) located directly on the AT. Think of the NOC as a Disney World for adrenalin junkies with white water rafting,zip lines and mt biking. My stay in the shelter last night was pleasant and when it started to rain at 6am I was psyched that I didn't have to break camp under the downpo...urs. Hiked solo this morning and although the heavy rain held off during my decent a heavy mt mist ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. How to Hike the AT

by , 03-17-2013 at 19:57 (Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends)
    There are as many ways to hike the AT as there people attempting it. Each has their own method and each is valid. There is a continuum that goes from 'the kitchen sink' to the ultralight and everything in between.

I don't like crawling on the ground for any reason. Crawling in and out of a tent, particularly in the rain, is one of my least favorite things. Because I use a tarp and hammock, I almost never get my knees dirty. The tarp protects me better than my Hubba and the ...
  5. 3/17 Happy St Patricks Day

Happy St Patricks day to everyone. Needless to say, no corned beef or green beer this year. But had a productive day. 10.6 m Wayah Bald to Wesser Bald. 131.4 miles total. Challenging day w several steep ascents. Fog obscured views most day but at top of lesser bald, fog cleared and got 360 mountain view- spectacular. In shelter tonight as rain forecast for next 24 hrs Expect to be at NOC (outdoor center w hostel) by about noon tomorrow to re supply. Miss you all and have a Black and Tan for ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized