WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Manchester to Bennington - Part 1

As noted in the previous blog entry, I have imposed some restrictions on where I can hike. To cover my miles, I must-
    1) return home within a week.
    2) cover not much more than ten miles a day.
    3) stay at a shelter or established campground.
    4) get to both trail heads via mass transit; or between trail heads with minimal shuttling.

As I already covered all miles between Rockfish Gap and the Vermont border, travel between home and any trail head requires ...

Updated 09-19-2013 at 16:21 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Starchild Summits Katahdin 9-1-13

On Sun Sept 1st around noon Splash and I reached the northern terminus of the AT, the summit of Katahdin which translates to 'the Greatest Mountain' (from Penobscot tribe) and is the terminus for my thru hike. Katahdin does live up to being ‘the Greatest Mountain’ as it is the single greatest accent of the AT. My summit date was also very tied into the history and legends of this mountain, something I felt near the summit and also at a moment on the way down.
    Leading up to this date, there ...

Updated 09-19-2013 at 10:06 by Starchild

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Over Mount Bascom, thanks to Shuttle

For wimpy backpackers like me, one of the problems of hiking the A.T. are the long climbs up (and down!) the mountains. In particular, those parts of the Trail that deliberately go to the top of the highest mountain around. And most specifically, places like Mount Greylock in Massachusetts – going from elevations of 990 feet to 3491 feet to 900 feet, all in a distance of thirteen miles. Real backpackers generally have no problem with these kinds of elevation changes, but I do!

For ...
    Tags: bascom, greylock Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Upcoming AT Hike in October

I'd sure appreciate some suggestions on a hike we are putting together for some Boy Scouts and their dads with some hiking experience. We'd like to start somewhere near the GA-NC line as we are travelling from south Georgia. We'll be putting in and trying to get around 40 miles. The trip is 10/11-10/15. This is one of several hikes leading up to the Philmont Scout Ranch hike next summer. I was thinking Rock Gap to Burningtown to Nantahala to Stecoah Gap but wonder if this is too strenuous based ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Hogpen Gap to Unicoi Gap help

We are a small group who are section hiking the AT in Georgia. We have made it from Springer Mountain to Hogpen Gap. Our best distance so far is about 7 miles a day, we are a bunch of 60+ folks. We are now faced with 13.4 miles between Hogpen and Unicoi Gap. We haven't done any overnights and I'm trying to break up this section into two or three pieces for day hikes.

I see on maps an 'almost' approarch trail called the Chattahoochee Trail. It almost reaches the AT at Wide Gap, on the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized