WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Editor of This Old House opens up

Scott Omelianuk is an unlikely character to play the part of Editor in Chief of This Old House. This is the popular home improvement magazine that The New York Times says has “turned home improvement into an art form, its knowledgeable contractors guiding homeowners through seemingly flawless renovations for the last 34 years.”

[B]The 14 year renovation [/B]

Omelianuk, on the other hand, has lived in the same three-story house for 14 years and has yet to complete his own ...
  2. 4/6 Stomach bug on the trail near Erwin TN Not fun........

April 6th: Hiked from the mountain meadow to No Business Knob Shelter for a total of 16.6 miles. 335.7 miles hiked, 1850.2 to go

Today was absolutely grueling. Word began filtering down the trail yesterday that a stomach bug is running rampant in this part of the trail and wouldn't you know, yours truly began experiencing the symptoms last night. By today, I couldn't hold any food down but I was hell bent on making a good run to Erwin, TN the next trail town in striking distance ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. SNP Trail Magic

SNP Trail Magic
    There will be some trail magic Sunday, April 7 at the Shenandoah National Park. We'll be set up from about 11am to 4pm where the AT comes out of the woods at approximately Skyline Drive MP 38. This is also near the parking area. All are welcome.

We will have lots of cold canned soft drinks, Little Debbies, salty snacks, oranges, apples, and bananas. We'll haul out your trash.

Sidewinder
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 4/5 Mountain Top Meadow

April 5th: Today I hiked 18.8 miles from Jerry Cabin Shelter to a mountain top meadow with killer views.
    Cool night in the shelter last night but at least it was dry. All of the trees were encased in ice from yesterday's storm and all night long you could hear branches crashing to the ground due to the extra weight.
    What a difference have a day makes. The first half of the day was cool and fogg...y with light rain but in the afternoon the sun came out and made a pleasant day for ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 4/4 Enough w the Snow and Ice!

Finally got a signal today so here is my day late update from 4/4. 9.3 m to Gerry Cabin Shelter. Total of 300.3, 1885 to go. Woke up at 2am to high wind, my own hacking cough. Tossed and turned while my tent got pelted w leaf litter. Rain in the forecast so I,along w everyone else, will be heading for the shelters. They fill up fast so hope for room at the inn. Started at first light in the rain... which turned to snow, sleet and ice at the higher elevations. I was looking to make 3rd shelter ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized