WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. New to the Appalachian Trail

My wife and I intend to hike for five days starting in Georgia, at the trailhead, in Early to mid March(starting March 12 or 13th). We are fairly experienced hikers/campers but not as much in this region. We are from Texas and have done most of our hiking in Texas, Michigan, UP, and some in and around Gatlinburg(Smoky mountains). Our main concern is transportation. I've heard and read about some shuttle services in the area. Just wanted some opinions. Any insight on this hike would help. Gear, weather, ...
  2. From Franklyn North Carolina to “The Belly of The Beast” Storm and Fontana Dam part 1

My stay in Franklyn North Carolina, was all I could imagine and much more.
    I spent the first two days of three off trail, prospecting for the local native rubies.
    In all I mailed back to NYC 35lbs. of rocks and semi-precious stones. Thank goodness for the USPS priority package, whatever fit in the box went for one rate. Here I stopped carrying my laptop and would ship it priority to my next resupply town too.

I have spent the last several years building the second largest ...

Updated 01-28-2012 at 18:21 by Puma Ghostwalker

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. From Franklyn North Carolina to “The Belly of The Beast” Storm and Fontana Dam part 2

Heading down from Wayah Bald the trail blazes were white and yellow ones too.
    How it happened is anyone’s guess, I got off trail when the trail blazes went to only yellow, at that time I should of turned around but I didn’t. My head was in other places,
    captivated by the all the sights and smells of nature, nightmares, I never slept well my whole life I was plague with demons, from childhood. To add to it I had a hiker named Bob that followed me and camped at the same sites as I did ...

Updated 01-28-2012 at 13:26 by Puma Ghostwalker

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. From Franklyn North Carolina to “The Belly of The Beast” Storm and Fontana Dam part 3

In mid-afternoon on June 12th I made it to the Nantahala River exhausted and my feet were killing me. The hike from Wesser Bald was very rocky and I found going down
    hill was more dangerous than going up hill, I was always worried about damaging a knee or an ankle. I remembered seeing a few guys at Neels Gap with busted-up knees hiking down Blood Mountain (perhaps that how it got its name) to fast, one guy even broke a hiking pole. A few times during my hike my poles got stuck in-between rocks ...

Updated 01-28-2012 at 18:53 by Puma Ghostwalker

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. From Franklyn North Carolina to“The Belly of The Beast” Storm and Fontana Dam part4

That evening I setup camp at Locus Cove Gap where two brothers sat at the fire ring cooking supper. They were like me and several other hikers out at the same time, we are all hiking this year to Harpers Ferry West Virginia, a 1,012 mile hike. The oldest of the two carried a can of pepper spray on the shoulder strap of his backpack, he had all the bells and whistles too. Well I can’t hike with these guys I want to talk to a bear and film one. The camp had a lot of low spots and took my a bit of ...

Updated 01-28-2012 at 13:27 by Puma Ghostwalker

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast