WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Inception!

...was a terrible movie.

BUT I am starting my journey through the Appalachian Trail on Saturday. I couldn't be any more excited. I'm leaving my job, leaving my friends and family, and leaving the area I've come to accept as "home" for the last 9 years.

I know the trip isn't going to be fun all the time, I know it's not going to be easy, and I know it's not going to be comfortable.

And that's what I'm most excited to get away from - comfortable. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Training for the AT- Hiking with a Pack

Today was my first weighted pack hike. I weighed down an old back pack with 25lbs of weights and 2L of water, for a total weight over 30lbs. I headed out along the roads, which here in backwoods Pennsylvania means that all the roads are VERY hilly. For a first time, I am pretty proud. Here are my results. 5.49 miles in 1:53:36 hrs burned roughly 885 calories. (According to my fitbit)

This makes for an average of roughly 3.0 mph. So for a 15 mile day I will be hiking for 5 hours and ...
    Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Section Hike Daleville ---> Harpers Ferry

Starting May 7th at Dalville NB to HF.. anyone been through there recently? Just looking to get general trail info, pluses or minuses.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. My 50K walk with Multiple Sclerosis

Most of us take walking for granted. It's just something we do. We pop out of bed in the morning, zip around during the day, and get off our feet at night. It's not something we think about until something happens that changes how we move.

April 21nd, 2007 is an anniversary for me. On that date, I attended a 5K MS Walk. Having been diagnosed with MS a few years before, it seemed important to support others sharing the disease. After purchasing the MS shirt, I headed to the starting ...

Updated 04-23-2015 at 20:50 by Buttercup01

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Noc noc

The N.O.C. is a rafting heaven. If you want your kids to learn how to raft, they have a camp and this is the place to do it. Had breakfast and hit the trail. It is 7 miles straight up all the way to Sassafrass Shelter. It also fills up because by the time you get there everyone is toast!

Woke up early the next day and got on the trail. It is 22 miles to Fontana Dam and I want to get there in two days. The trail isn't friendly, but I shoot for the 12 miles my first day. Jacobs' ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized