WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. The begining is near.

I am less than 3 weeks away from the start of my journey. Millions of questions, conditioning, and preparing mixed in amongst the looming end of the final semester interfering with my ability to head to the southern terminus. I graduate on May 3rd, leave for the trail head on May 4th. I will celebrate my 31st birthday on the AT on May 17th.

SOLcreature, Sol-Latin meaning the sun. Because I am a creature of the sun. I've chased it 1200 miles south to florida, and now this creature's ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 4/8 Zero day in Erwin TN (see new link below RE: Last Post on WhiteBlaze..)

What a difference a day off the trail makes. Today was a total down day where I just kicked back and relaxed. Caught up with some old friends and made a few new ones. The stomach virus has now extended over 200 miles up and down the trail and was the main topic of conversation. Thankfully it seems to be running its course and things can get back to normal. Today temps topped out at 81 with blue skies and sunshine. Will be hitting the trail tomorrow at first light for the 75 mile hike to Hampton, ...

Updated 04-09-2013 at 07:16 by smsinnh

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Little Caesars is my god. And my demise.

Neil and I were feeling pretty much like ballers after our 16 mile day yesterday (crossing the 100 mile mark!), and figured we would do 4 into Franklin today, and then hike out, maybe even past what we'd planned, after our resupply. There's a Little Caesars next to the Ingles here and a $5 Hot-N-Ready seemed like just the thing. Throw in some cheese sticks and we'd be golden. Apparently we're also lethargic and unmotivated now. So full, so greasy. It's looking like we'll be lucky if we make it more ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Found a peahen, found a peahen!

In Sept of 2009 I did a dayhike from Newfound Gap to Charlie's Bunyan (8 miles round trip). As I passed Icewater Spring Shelter 3-miles in, I saw a large bird walking around in the clearing. I didn't try to get close, and I was in a hurry to finish my hike before it got dark, so I went on. On the way back, I stopped for a few minutes, got much closer and identified it as a peahen. Nope, not a wild turkey or a grouse, but a peahen, a domesticated animal who had no business in the middle of the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 4/7 Erwin TN Actually felt good enough to eat Mexican last night! Hiker hunger won

April 7th: Hiked the short 5.8 miles from no business shelter to Uncle Johnny's Hiker Hostel in Erwin, TN.
    Like every hostel I have stayed at, the people are super hiker friendly.
    Got a shuttle into town with 5 of my thru-hiker buddies where we went to Walmart for resupply and a Mexican Restaurant for dinner. My stomach held up amazing well. Although I feel much better I'm still wiped out so I will follow the path of common sense and take the zero day tomorrow as planned. Will hit ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized