WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. my melancholy introduction... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerChild View Post
    Hi White Blaze community..

My name is Susan, trail name Flower Child. In 2015 I hiked 700 miles of the Appalachian Trail, starting at Katahdin.. June 1st, and through the grace of extensive "free blazing" ended in Harper's Ferry, WV. October 1st.

I injured my foot, right around Caratunk ME, and that kinda threw a wrench in my hiking plans. So I embraced tears, hobbling, 8 mile days, and skipping large portion of trails, till even that was too much.. and
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Friday in Franklin NC

April 26 was my first big day 11 miles!! Crossed the GA-NC line around 4 and wanted a few more miles. Made it to muskrat shelter at8pm. Barely time to set up before dark. Lay there in twilight and heard a hoot owl fight. Struck me
    So funny I laughed out loud.
    April 27 thunderstorm atop standing Indian mtn. Too much rhododendron so I couldn't see lightning. Rats! But what a neat smell! Fresh rainy mountaintop- too bad you can't get a snapshot of that. Rain let up at 5:30 so I quickly ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Gathland State Park to Rocky Run Shelter - MD Appalachian Trail

Decided to complete the section of the Appalachian Trail between Gathland State Park at Crampton Gap, South Mountain in Maryland to Rocky Run shelter near Boonsboro, Maryland. The total section distance was 5.4 miles. We hiked this as an in and out with some blue blaze for a total of 11 miles and one night at Rocky Run shelter. Gathland State Park is a beautiful park with public restrooms, piped water available in winter, and a picnic pavilion. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. I'm going slower than I thought - but still enjoying everything

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00596.JPG 
Views:	492 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	34607
    April 16 - Dropped at Springer Mtn (yes, I skipped the approoach trail...) 1 mile up, pics, 1 mile down. Only went as far as Stover Creek. Not enough cell signal to call in for church :-(
    April 17 - Great weather. Got water at Hawk Mtn Campsite at noon but didn't check for next water site so only got camelback full. I had to make it 7 more miles to Justus for water. Couple of college-looking kids took pity on me after 5 miles and gave me their water because ...

Updated 04-25-2016 at 15:51 by ElizabethClose

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. ULA CDT (former Conduit) or OHM???

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but Dogwood's comment on a virtual frame for the CDT caught my attention when I did a search. So I figured I'd comment on this thread rather than starting a new one. I just received a custom CDT (specified a rolltop like the Circuit vs. the draw string closure) and I'm experimenting with various ways of packing it. I carry both a regular Neoair xlite and a cut down piece of blue foam that I use as a sit pad. I removed the standard foam that ULA ships with
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast