WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Ocelt & Huckleberry's excellent adventure

Me & Ocelot are heading out for another SOBO section hike in late March... Salt Log Gap (Buena Vista) to US 11 (Troutville)... 8 days, 85 miles... anywhere from 10 - 14 miles per day. That's about all my old legs can handle these days. Just takin' our time... enjoy'n the ride.

We finished up the last of Northern Va last weekend on a 11 mile day hike from Keys Gap to just north of Harper's Ferry. Love the way the AT meanders through the old historic town.

See you ...

Updated 02-21-2012 at 17:34 by Traverse

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Ugh. Sick

Seven days before I make the 5-1/2 hour drive to Amicalola State Park and eight days before I start marching up the Approach Trail to the top of Springer Mountain, I have a non-trivial cold.

Dang it. I maybe get a cold once a year and it's usually not a big deal. But this particular cold is moving in slow motion and seems like it wants to hang around longer than the usual 2 or 3 days. So, there's the risk I won't be at one hundred percent when I start. On top of that, I have last minute ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Boots Got Sole

I just got back from the shoe cobbler and my favorite pair of boots is now resoled and ready for action. Sure, I could've bought another pair or gotten trail runners but, when push came to shove, I decided to go with what was comfortable and I've trusted before.

This particular pair of boots has seen me through all types of weather, all types of terrain, and all types of troubles. So, who am I to tell them they have to stay home this go 'round?

Here they sit, then, all ...

Updated 02-20-2012 at 16:37 by bgood360

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Planning my hike through the Shenandoah National Park

Well, as spring begins to show itself I find myself longing for the trail again. Since my last hike I have upgraded from my crappy $20 solo tent of doom to a new Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Backpacker A-Sym Zip. I have set it up in my backyard a few times just to get the "hang" of it and figure out how well I will be suited for this in place of grounding myself in a tent like I have been doing for 30 years. All in all, I am very pleased. I have caught a couple naps in it ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. what to expect for low tempertures?

Planing on starting in early April 2012 at Springer and do not know what to expect for low temps at night. Have been planing on using a 20 deg mummy bag but that may be over-kill. It weights in at just under 5 lbs. Along with my pack, tent, pad and cooking gear I'm at 19 lbs already. I'm soloing and only expecting to do a segment to Rt 64 in NC. I'm comfortable with as much as 35 lb load but less is always better. Can anyone give me an educated guess as what to expect as overnight lows.Perhaps ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized