WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Suggest GPS App for Android

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    I also have an Android phone and eTrex 30 and I am at least somewhat careful about app permissions. I use OsmAnd+ (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...et.osmand.plus) which uses maps based on data from https://www.openstreetmap.org. While OSM may not be up to par with Google on streets, it has a couple of advantages that I simply love: 1) it has trails for many parks, 2) It has parking areas, 3) if something is not there yet, I can add it. The trail coverage is far from complete but
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Leaving, finally.

You know, it hasn't been so bad having to put the trip off for a few days, but it looks like I'm definitely leaving tomorrow. Either way - it's gonna be tough leaving these guys behind.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0004.JPG 
Views:	502 
Size:	156.1 KB 
ID:	30653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0003.JPG 
Views:	501 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	30654Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0029.JPG 
Views:	517 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	30655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0032.JPG 
Views:	518 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	30656
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. hikes north of Clayton, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kilarney1902 View Post
    i guess now my question is, how do i get to standing indian campground/ backcountry parking lot? I will be heading there from N. GA, i assume that i will go through clayton (heading north on 441) what is the best way from there? google directions seem a tad flaky, so help me out. also what are any issues with parking fees permits etc.
    No it is free to park in the back country info center or at Rock Gap parking lot.If you turn into the campground and stop at the checkin there is a parking lot on the
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Wives with husbands hiking AT this spring

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Most young couples with children probably just don't have the financial resources to responsibly have one partner away for 4-6 months hiking. But provided they are financially well off, and one has their spouse's blessing, why not? I think that arrangements should be made to meet up in trail towns along the way, and an agreement to quit the hike should it be deemed necessary by the one left behind. But realistically, there's a 50% chance he won't last more than halfway anyway.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. A Question About Mail

Is there an exact science to sending/receiving mail? I've got a rough estimate of when I'll be reaching certain cities/towns/hobbit holes, but other than that I don't know what else there is to do.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is:

Is there any other planning that needs to go into getting mail other than ETAs?

Thanks!

- Razor Burn -