WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Checking Backpack at airport?

Flying from Seattle to Atlanta. Any advice on how to pack the pack? I was thinking of putting backpack inside old duffel bag with padding closed with small lock?.
  2. And Here I Sit

If all had gone according to the original plan, I'd be enjoying a great dinner at Amicalola State Park and Lodge right now and later on probably fussing with my gear one last time, anticipating an early start in the morning, up the Approach Trail.

As it stands, I'm in my favorite chair by the fireplace, petting the dog, poking around on the 'Net, and congratulating myself on how well that bratwurst did on the grill, especially with the onions and tomatoes sizzling next to them.

Updated 02-28-2012 at 21:20 by bgood360

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. leave no trace and only good vibes

Hey everyone. The AT is such an amazing trail. For the journey that you take within, but also for all the external beauty. A lot of that beauty comes in the form of meeting really wonderful people. Trail angels. They come in all different appearances. Sometimes they feed for free, or they pick you up on the side of the road, sometimes a hostel owner, or a waitress. Trail angels are people that are good to hikers. I know a lot of trail angels. If you are planning to hike the AT, or already ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. There's Never a Good Time to...

take a vacation. That much I've learned over the years. Even the simplest and tried-and-true road trips (like my runs between NC and TX) always present a few last minute hurdles that test one's patience and ability to roll with the punches.

But, here I sit with only 2 days before I leave and I still have trail maps, guide books, and so on spread out before me as I put the finishing touches on my plans. I've never seen my plan and the resulting spreadsheet of daily mileage and resupply ...

Updated 02-26-2012 at 12:36 by bgood360

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Goat Rodeo

I am seriously considering changing my trail name to "Goat Rodeo" as the term aptly describes the last or near last workdays before I start my thru-hike.

There's no doubt that stepping out of the "real world" is as much work if not more than preparing for the hiking world. At least when preparing for a big hike, you do some research (poke around on WhiteBlaze, read some trail journals, pester the local outfitter with questions, add about a bazillion bookmarks to ...

Updated 02-24-2012 at 13:50 by bgood360

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast