WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. 4/2 Deja Vu - Back in Hot Springs!

April 2nd: Lemon Gap to Hot Springs 14.6 miles. 273.9 total, 1912 to go.
    Here we go, Deja Vu all over again. Back in Hot Springs but this time I walked into town.
    The day started out on the chilly side but perfect for hiking. Must say it was kind of a Ho Hum day with so so views. Pretty much put my head down and made tracks for Hot Springs where I booked a room at the Laughing Heart Hostel, a 5 star hostel if ever there was a rating system out there. Re-provisioned for the 70 mile ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 4/1 Standing Bear Farm to Lemon Gap

April 1st: Standing Bear Farm to Lemon Gap 18.7 miles. 259.5 hiked so far, 1926.6 to go.
    Jan and I had a great time in Hot Springs and after a hot breakfast at the local diner, Jan dropped me off at Davenport Gap on her way to the airport so I can do trail from Davenport gap back to Hot Springs. After another bittersweet goodbye, I made my way up the trail. The first 4 miles was a 2500 ft climb to the summit of Snowbird Mt. For the 1st time since leaving Springer Mt on March 4th, I was ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Unforeseen consequences

by , 04-02-2013 at 13:56 (Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends)
    Two days on the trail and each one a learning experience. Day one out of Delaware Water Gap was high overcast and cool. Perfect hiking weather. Doc, Seldom Seen and I headed out after hot apple pie and ice cream plus hot dogs. Yes, hot dogs…they come with the pie. So 1000 + elevation gain, snow patches, wind, sail planes, grouse and 7 miles put us at the shelter. Then the fun began.

It took three tries to set up the tarp and bridge hammock. The standard hammock is quite narrow ...
  4. Still off the trail

Was hoping to get back on trail by now. Looks like it will be May at earliest. Just got home from five days at hospital with my mom apparently I made her sick. She developed double pneumonia doctors said that the strain I had was contagious. We just got her back home from hospital yesterday.

Unfortunately I don't seem to be alone in this. As of last count 18 people have gotten off with either symptoms of pneumonia or with pneumonia. Some have been able to continue and some are ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. to NOC

Hi from the AT

When I write these updates or think what to include sometimes I expect more hiking related stuff. But there is a saying that hiking the AT is life simplified. So I do find much more to write about then just the stats and the scenery. But I made a effort to talk a bit about the hike itself here.

Some of the hiking aspects are after 12 days on trail I covered about 139 miles making it from Springer Mountain GA to the NOC NC and 2 days away from the Smokies. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized