WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. 3/31 Preps for first section hike

Getting all the necessary gear together: Ultrlight pack, tent, sleeping bag, thermal & hiking clothes, bear bag, food supplies (4-days). Still need to get a stove (Jet Boil), sleeping pad, head lamp & compression sacks. Working on a few odds & ends. Trying to avoid getting sick or injured at work and at the same time keeping up an exercise regime. It's Easter Sunday, so I'm going to take a zero and rest up for the big week and watch the NCAA elite 8 tournament.

Concerned ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. AT North to South

Does anyone have any information on where the best spot is to enter the AT so that my son and I can hike south. We are planning on doing the Georgia section of the AT before he is deployed. We have a person who is going to drop us off, so we could enter the AT from one of the roads that cross it. Looking to get as close to the Georgia-North Carolina border as possible.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. T minus one day......

Well, this is it, the adventure I have been planning for over a year now. I am "only" section hiking from Springer to Damascus, but that's as far as my vacation will allow me, unless I were to go without any time off for another four or five years. Nope, this is it, I'm fifty seven, with nothing I can think of to look forward to except this hike, so I hope to make the best of it. I am not in the best shape I'd like to be for this hike but I'm going to ease into it as best I can with ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 3/29 Snow, as advertised

Good Morning..no signal yesterday or last night... Did 15.6 miles from Newfound Gap to Tri Corner Knob Shelter. Took shuttle yesterday am to Newfound Gap to hit the trail early. As advertised, 18 inches of snow greeted us once we got into the higher elevations. It was a true winter wonderland, stunning views everywhere.
    Started with a 1000 foot climb through the heaviest snow. Felt like the Grin...ch climbing Mt Crumpet! As the day progressed the temps rose and snow became heavy and wet ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. A week off.

Diddo and I are off the trail for 10 days. We got off at Sams Gap with 9 others the day all that snow came. Thank you Miss Janet for the ride! Most of those guys are already back out. Diddo has a wedding to attend so we decided to wait and resume our hike to Maine once she returns from Austin. 10 days and counting.

It is hard to be sitting here in great hiking shape and not hiking. It's a little sad and a little exciting to know we will be getting back on with a new group ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized