WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. 3/17 Wayah Bald and first warm night on the trail

Day 13. Yesterday did 11 miles from Windy Stair Gap to Wayah Bald. Total of 120.8 m. Dropped off on trail by Ron haven - local tycoon and stand up comic. Beautiful day even windy side of mtn was warm. Hiked with Pilgrim and Trekker. 2 retirees from CA. Stopped for lunch and realized i had left my cheese and sausage in fridge at motel! However a few miles later saw sign nailed to tree. Coffee/food!.... It was a mobile camp set up by Fresh Grounds, a previous thu hiker who now takes 6 weeks vacation ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. off the trail

Had to get off for a bit. Feet and legs swollen to the point can't walk. Going to see doctor on Monday to see what's going on. Hope to get back on soon.
    Will let everyone know when I find out what's up.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 3/16 Back on Trail after great day in Franklin NC - Thoughts on AT so far

While I sit here waiting for the Shuttle and a full phone charge, I thought I would give you my 1st impressions of trail life:

It is better to set small goals like only 4 miles to the next water source or 28 miles to the next town. Thinking wow I have hiked 110 miles and realizing that it is only 5 percent of your

entire journey could make your head explode.

A little olive oil will make anyt...hing taste better. And while I'm on food, mashed potatoes ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 3/15 Off Trail in Franklin NC

Day 12 was what they call a near zero day. Old Goat and I hiked 4 miles from where we camped last night and got a ride into Franklin, NC, a trail town 10 miles east of the AT. Got 3days of provisions for the next section of my hike and boot inserts from a local outfitter. Get this. I called for a pizza delivery and the owner of the shop got in his car, picked me up and brought me to his restaurant. 4 beers and an 18 inch pizza later with great conservation and lots of laughs he drove me back to ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 3/14 What a difference a day makes!

Had an awesome day after a less than great start. Bitterly cold night with wind whipping over the mountain. Thank God I have a silk liner for my 30 degree bag or I would have been in trouble! Woke up and my water bottle that I kept in my sleeping bag so it wouldn't freeze, was frozen solid. No hot breakfast or coffee for me today. It was so cold, just had to start hiking. About 2 hrs into the hike caught up with Old Goat. We had a great hike, with great conversation that kept my mind off my ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized