WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Made it to 280lb today

11 December 2012

Made it to 280lb today and am walking with greater ease. Soon as hunting season ends I am looking forward to hiking some longer trails with my pack on. As for my gear I am happy with it; with the exception of my tent’s weight, great tent, lots of room which I like. I do have a smaller tent which I used on my long bike trips, but it has room to lie down and that is it. Spending most of my time now making arrangements to leave my wife with as little to worry about as ...
  2. Ultralight Tent Research brings Reward!

I did quite a bit of studying, research, and weighing out the options (every def of weigh implied). I looked at LightHeart Tents, but I have Leki's screw lock poles. For those tents it was recommended to use slide lock poles and I saw their reasoning after watching a video review. To be honest, I liked the idea of using the poles I already carried to use for tent poles. I searched through the REI, EMS, and USOutdoors sites and compared countless tents against prices and features available. By ...
  3. Tent Has Shipped

I woke up this morning to find in my inbox that my LightHeart Gear Solo was shipped and has made its way overnight up I-40 from Asheville to Greensboro, meaning that my new home away from home is a mere one county away.

Kudos to Judy Gross for taking the time to follow up on my order and clarify a few things.

I guarantee the tent will be set up in front of the cabin before the UPS truck hits the end of the driveway.

-- Hat, 2012 NOBO AT

Updated 02-08-2012 at 22:50 by bgood360

Tags: preparation, tent Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Endings and Beginnings

After much agonizing, I finally decided to leave my trusty REI Half Dome (purchased in 2000 for a climb up Kilimanjaro) at home and go with something new. The Half Dome has served me well on Kili and all over Texas (Big Bend, the Big Thicket, Dinosaur Valley State Park, South Padre, Caprock Canyons, Palo Duro Canyon, Guadelupe National Mountains, etc. -- you name it) and I could set it up half asleep, in the wind, in the rain, in the dark, and on occasion under all four conditions at once on the ...

Updated 02-08-2012 at 22:51 by bgood360

Categories
    Uncategorized