WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Cuben fiber food bags?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Don't leave your food bag open. Not a good idea at all. Learn to hang it in a way that the critters won't get to it easily, like the PCT method. It's much easier than it seems at first glance, and it will work with pretty much any bag. A roll top waterproof bag is great, since it keeps all your food dry. Lots of people use the S2S bag for food.

I use a Zpacks Blast food bag. I own two of them -- great bags. Very well made, and as MW says they fit very well inside my Circuit pack. In
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Cuben fiber food bags?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Don't leave your food bag open. Not a good idea at all. Learn to hang it in a way that the critters won't get to it easily, like the PCT method. It's much easier than it seems at first glance, and it will work with pretty much any bag. A roll top waterproof bag is great, since it keeps all your food dry. Lots of people use the S2S bag for food.

I use a Zpacks Blast food bag. I own two of them -- great bags. Very well made, and as MW says they fit very well inside my Circuit pack. In
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Denatured Alcohol Storage

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    First of all, one of the nice things about alcohol is that if it does spill, it isn't really a nightmare. It might be annoying, but if you spilled the same amount of white gas, you would know the alcohol spill is much less nasty.

Also, alcohol is much easier to store. It doesn't typically need a special container. A lot of people use methanol rather than denatured ethanol because it is easily available in gas stations as Heet gas line antifreeze. This bottle is designed to store
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Injury Prevention

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Common injuries? Probably the following:

Blisters - keep feet as dry as possible and toenails trimmed, immediate care of any foot "hot spots" can help prevent blisters - use Leukotape(good stuff) or moleskin/duct tape, proper fitting of shoes and good socks can go a long way towards prevention, carry a blister kit anyway. Once a blister forms, it usually needs to be drained from the side and bandaged with tape in order to continue hiking. Even then, the best cure is resting
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 2 items

Quote Originally Posted by mortonjl View Post
    For sale:

ULA Catalyst woodland camo, large with large hip belt and S-curve shoulder straps, used for one overnighter, as new $230.00 shipped CONUS

2. Montbell Super Spiral Burrow Bag #5 Long, rated to 43*, used some but in excellent condition. Synthetic bag, $80.00 shipped conus
    Bump, Montbell bag sold, Catalyst new price
    Categories
    Uncategorized