WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. I Can Boil Water!

Normally, this proclamation would either elicit a response of "Well, I would hope so; people have been doing it for years" or "Uh oh -- what have you been up to?"

In this case, it's simply a matter of my surprise that my Super Cat Alcohol Stove actually works. I know, I know -- hundreds of hikers if not more have punched holes in cat food cans, poured in some alcohol, and fixed themselves coffee, tea, or a hot meal without fanfare. But, we're talking about me here. ...

Updated 02-17-2012 at 22:52 by bgood360

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The "Meet My Dog" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    when Princess died in '09 i was not going to get another dog. Princess was 15. grand kids got me Kaia (Kaia; a Greek princess ). she is only 15 months and has over 300 miles of trail under her collar. probably more then most WB'ers. this is PRINCESS.

Tags: dogs, friends, humans Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. to comfortably make it through the trail

really tired have not slept in two days lots going on nervous about my new job. this job is going to be paying for my trip every ounce of cash going straight to the bank. it takes about 1.50 per mile to comfortably do the hike (many say) and since i will be having my kido with me I will say around $4,000 total at max. so my concern is this: travlers checks or a green dot card* ?

* green dot cards are easy to get at walmart or at any drug store. it takes about three bucks to activate ...
    Tags: money Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. New to this site and looking for guidance

So I am looking for all the advice I can get. I am currently serving in the U.S. Army and will be getting out of the service mid 2013. I plan on getting home to New Jersey the old fashioned way, walking! I will be starting my trek in Georgia and plan on starting in November 2013. I know what some may think.....it's winter.....a little dumb. I was stationed in Alaska for 6 1/2 years and conducted many training operations exposed to the elements and temperatures as low as -25 for weeks at a time. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Part six

Use in researchThe Appalachian Trail has been a resource forresearchers in a variety of disciplines. Portions of the trail in Tennesseewere used on a study on trail maintenance for the Trail's "uniformenvironmental conditions and design attributes and substantial gradient invisitor use. Beginning in 2007, various citizen groups, including theAppalachian Trail Conservancy and the American Hiking Society, began a study tomonitor environmental changes that have resulted from higher ozone levels, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized