WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Pioneer Spirit

Buckeye trail May 4 2010

Rate this Entry
I'm planning to to stay in Ohio this year for my week long annual hike. The Buckeye trail will be my destination this year but I'm trying to figure out what sections I wish to do.

I'm looking for trail angels who will be available around the first week in June (rain or shine). The hike will be beginning on a Tuesday morning and ending on Saturday or Sunday who can drop me off at one point so I can walk to my parked truck.

I had a pledge last year in the Cincinnati area. I would like to walk from Erie avenue eastward and turn onto the south loop of the BT in Milford and walk a little over 60 miles to the dam of Lake Grant south just south of Mt. Orab. The Bt passes along the shore of East Fork lake after mostly road walking.

I need to finish the remainder of the spur between Erie ave through Maderia to Milford, a distance of only 9 miles or so. While the BT is a loop around the state, there are two spurs on the top and south corners. One spur runs about 13 miles to the Ohio river and another runs quite a ways to Lake Erie in the Cleveland area.

There is also what folks refer to as the 'stupid' loop leading down east of Marietta to the Ohio river as access for the American Discovery trail, this part then loops back up to the main trail. Folks who hike the trail are forced to hike this stupid loop. Another major loop extends up towards the far east corner of the state with a shorter shortcut in the Akron-Canton area.

I'm trying to get the most miles for the time I have. Cincy to Dayton is 119 miles due to a zigzag off a nice flat bike path onto a rugged trail through Caesar Creek and a trip through Springfield before a sharp turn toward Dayton. I'd be forced to walk 20 miles a day to finished that section but I could do 60-70 miles in 5-6 days easily, even with 40 pounds.

I'd like a secure place to park the truck and then get dropped off at the opposite end but I'm flexible as to hiking points.

I'm also eager to finish the sections along St. Marys, Troy, Piqua, Defiance, Napoleon and Mary Jane Thurson park.

Another major section would be from Burr Oak to Stockport on all the way up past Wolf Run, Seneca lake on past Saltfork all the way to Akron
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments