WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Pioneer Spirit

Buckeye trail May 17 2010

Rate this Entry
I spent Thursday night in a Napoleon Wal-mart parking lot. Drove back to Mary Jane Thurson park in Grand Rapids and completed a short section of the BT between a pair of parking lots.

I didn't see the sense of paying $20 to throw up a tent for the night in the rain at the park. A pair of bicyclists had the camp ground to themselves. The ground in this area is very poor about draining, this is the site of the massive Black swamp section of Ohio.

I parked at the Marina next to the park office in a large lot with grass growing between cracks in the pavement. The BT left the park almost at once in favor of several miles of roadwalking through the back roads past the town of McClure. Water standing in every ditch and field along the way. Fast streams of coffee colored water rushing everywhere.

My intent was to hit Napoleon by day's end followed by Defiance the day after with a total distance being in the 40 mile range. I entered Napoleon by a little after noon, far ahead of schedule. Lunch was provided by a Subway restaurant, an unexpected bonus.

The trail left the town and entered a tow path of the Miami Wabash canal. Only after walking for dozens of miles do you realize the extent of the canal system in this part of Ohio. There was a highway, canal and the Maumee river running in parallel all along this section. I walked the canal path all the way toward Defiance without passing another BT hiker.

I walked over 22 miles the first day carrying the usual 40 pound load, walking for two as I call it. I found a nice little spot between the path and the river that couldn't be seen from the path above. It was a nice flat spot out of view in the trees that hid a yellow-orange tent well.

The river was high but it was still about 3 feet lower than my camp site so there was no flood worries. I packed up the next morning after listening to the rushing water all night and an occasional Owl. Canadian Geese took the place of crowing roosters this morning.

I stepped onto the trail about 50 yards behind a morning trail walker, he was unaware that I had been stealth camping in this stretch of the trail, it was probably a mile before he turned around to see me behind him.

I met up with him at a seldom used shelter house in an area that looked familiar to me. I had been letterboxing in this part a few years before. I was in Independence Dam park in a part of the park that was closed off due to questionable activity in the area. He pointed out an eagles nest in the top of a tree across the river, I took a picture as best as possible from that distance.

I passed the dam as water was rushing over it's top, lots of logs trapped in the swirling undertow. There was a pentathalon scheduled for today, dozens of kayaks lined an old marina near the park office. The trail left the park and it was a few miles of roadwalking toward Defiance.

Fort Defiance park held a lot of stone monuments dedicated to several indian leaders who lived here during the indian wars around 1812. A stone copy of a tree trunk was here too, it was the largest apple tree on record at about 10 feet across. The Auglaise and Maumee river converge at this spot. I found another Subway along this stretch, If I had planned better, I could have left my stove and food at home. It was only noon so I was far ahead of my plan.

The trail crosses a bridge and curves along a battery of cannons before heading back through city streets on out of town to the south west. Passing a lake and the dump on out into the country side and picking up the canal again.

The trail was much the same on out through this area, interchanging segments of the canal path with roadwalking. frequently alternating between the two. I sometimes chose the parallel dry road in lieu of wet, knee high weeds. I followed a mark section up a wooded river back by a bridge only to be met by a new electric fence across the old dry canal bed and trail. The next couple of segments have been closed off by new fencing, a stile listed on the map was laying out in the middle of a horse pasture. I got the impression that the owners were now hostile to BT foot traffic. One section involved a crossing of knee deep water in the canal, I could have probably walked around this spot.

I chose a spot in the evening that was hidden from view in the woods along a road that was closed during wet weather. Someone was driving along the road with a vehicle that lacked a muffler in the wee hours of the morning.

I started before dawn Sunday morning miles ahead of schedule. I was already beyond the Defiance map and was about 5 miles into the Delphos section. I stopped into a gas station in the town of Charloe, the map listed a water source in the town's tiny corner park. The well pump was missing so I settled for a little resupply of water and some penny candy from the station store.

The day was a repeat of yesterday, alternating on and off-road hikes. I took more frequent breaks today, the fast pace was taking it's toll. I stopped for the day and ended the hike in the town of Ottoville next to the town's twin steepled Catholic church, the third Subway of the hike was on the corner. BYR arrived and shuttled me back to my truck.

Total hike was 64 miles +/- not bad for three days and I was in the middle of the Delphos section.

Wrap up: Blue blazes were almost non existant between MJT park and Napoleon as well as several other long stretches.

Plan ahead and grab food in the major towns.

I tried closed-toe sandals for a majority of the hike, while handy in the water and canal crossing, they just constantly pick up gravel and sticks under my heel so they get a thumbs down in the long run.

I crossed the 300 mile+ mark by a large margin adding about 20 miles more than I hoped to attain.

I found a wrench and a socket along the road miles apart, if I keep going perhaps the whole tool box will turn up.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments