WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

wrdecarlo

New to this site and looking for guidance

Rate this Entry
So I am looking for all the advice I can get. I am currently serving in the U.S. Army and will be getting out of the service mid 2013. I plan on getting home to New Jersey the old fashioned way, walking! I will be starting my trek in Georgia and plan on starting in November 2013. I know what some may think.....it's winter.....a little dumb. I was stationed in Alaska for 6 1/2 years and conducted many training operations exposed to the elements and temperatures as low as -25 for weeks at a time. I have also done many week long expeditions that required skills in arctic mountaineering and ice climbing to include over a year overseas walking the mountains of Afghanistan. I am doing this trek to help raise awareness of cancer and will be setting up fundraising in which all proceeds will go to the St. Jude Hospital for treatment and cure research. Now I want to do this in 60 days. Of course I know I can, but I am open for advice because I am not speaking from experience of this trail. I believe it's about 1200 miles to the New Jersey trail head that I will be exiting, then walking another 60 miles to my home town. I have started planning my load and am sitting at a comfortable 25lbs which includes 4 days of food. What kind of weather am I looking at during that time? I am used to Alaska winters until this one which has been spent living in mid-east Alabama. All advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Just dont under-estimate the weather on the trail. It can get very cold and wet, not -25 mind you but still cold. I would think that since you are hiking in the winter and headed north that the weather would get more severe as you go. I would also give thought to the trail being somewhat deserted during that time and you may have difficulty in finding a hostel that is open. Since no-one thru hikes during those months you may not have some of the "convienances" that hikers find during the regular season. I would check with the locations that you plan on using for mail drops and making sure they will accomondate you. And, make sure whatever stove you are using will work in the colder temps. I would be interrested in seeing how and what you pack for an extended winter hike that only weighs 25 lbs. Sounds pretty light, especially for winter. Good Luck!!