WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

terryg49

what to expect for low tempertures?

Rate this Entry
Planing on starting in early April 2012 at Springer and do not know what to expect for low temps at night. Have been planing on using a 20 deg mummy bag but that may be over-kill. It weights in at just under 5 lbs. Along with my pack, tent, pad and cooking gear I'm at 19 lbs already. I'm soloing and only expecting to do a segment to Rt 64 in NC. I'm comfortable with as much as 35 lb load but less is always better. Can anyone give me an educated guess as what to expect as overnight lows.Perhaps I can save some weight with a lighter bag. Thanks
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

One good way is to track the weather by going to odds and ins on the home page on here. Right now in Suches, GA it is 37 degrees F. What I have done is kept track over a few weeks and estimated the weather that way. I am sure there could be a better way to find out the weather but looking it up on the internet is a good way. I think the sleeping bag you have will be fine on the really cold nights just wear some woolen clothes. My feet are what stays cold in a sleeping bag so I wear three pairs of woolen socks on cold nights when I sleep Also at walmart you can get these single warmer packets here is a link http://www.walmart.com/search/search...onstraint=4125 and just put them where ever you get coldest. I hoped that helped out a bit