WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Starting out Fresh

Does an iphone work just as well as a lap top

Rate this Entry
I just bought a lap top for the trip and now i think i may may have made a mistake its heavy and bulky and i dont even know how i am going to get serivce out there with the thing. can i use an iphone just like a lap top ex: blogging staying in touch with friends camera and video recording map look up. the reason i post in here is because for some reason i am not able to post in the forum section i may not be doing it right.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Brittney,

Unless you got a very, very small lap top (like a net book) you will not want to carry it far. To connect to the internet you will need a Wi-Fi signal, which will only be available (most times) in town. Most people who have used a lap top on the trail, actually only use it in town and mail it between towns so they don't have to carry it. The other problem with a lap top is the very short battery life.

An iPhone or a similer featured Android phone will be better and many use these now days. You will likely want a phone anyway, so you might as well get one which does everything but wash your dishes. The only down side is not having a real keyboard to type with.
    I figure that is what I should have done. thanks for the advise. I think mailing it from town to town would be too much a hasle though I will just return the lap top (hopefully) and get an iphone or somthing close to it.
    Brittney,

I don't know about the rest of the trail. But on the GA leg Verizon is really carrier that works well.
    Just saying.