WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

bgood360

There's Never a Good Time to...

Rate this Entry
take a vacation. That much I've learned over the years. Even the simplest and tried-and-true road trips (like my runs between NC and TX) always present a few last minute hurdles that test one's patience and ability to roll with the punches.

But, here I sit with only 2 days before I leave and I still have trail maps, guide books, and so on spread out before me as I put the finishing touches on my plans. I've never seen my plan and the resulting spreadsheet of daily mileage and resupply stops as written in stone -- there's just too many variables and unknowns -- but more as a framework. More importantly, such planning has encouraged me to read the trail guides thoroughly and view each map inch by inch. Thus, the real value of my planning has been to familiarize myself with sights and interesting stops along the way and to provide context to place names as I read other hikers' trail journals. For instance, when someone refers to Guyot Shelter I have a pretty good idea where that is and know that's it's within the longest stretch of the AT uninterrupted by road access.

And, while any plan may be pretty much out the window within a week or so of starting out (since armchair planning is most likely more optimistic than realistic), having such a plan assures those around me that I have indeed put some thought into this, improved my chance of completing the thru-hike, and thereby justified the disruption this endeavor causes for everyone.

I've no doubt that before I leave the coffee shop this morning I will have everything squared away. After all, I've only got the last 300 miles to plan or so. But weighing on my mind is a cold that has outstayed its welcome. Actually, this is the second of two colds, as I was getting better a few days ago and then got worse again, but with slightly different symptoms. The cold has had two unfortunate affects. First, it's taken me off my physical preparations, which included daily walks with my full pack. Second, it's sapped my ability to crank out 10 hours or more of work on behalf of my clients, so that they are well positioned when I up and leave.

It's really tempting today to push my start date from February 29th to March 2. But, I feel that if I make allowances and excuses before I even start, that speaks negatively of my ability to finish a thru-hike. That is, if here I sit in a toasty warm coffee shop with all the comforts of civilization in front of me and I fudge on my plans, then what will my decision be when I am three days soaked to the bone and tired and sore?

On the other hand, starting my hike congested & tired and risking bronchitis or walking pneumonia sounds like a bad idea and a sure-fire way to end the trip within weeks.

Maybe the thing to do is finish my spreadsheet (probably only another 45 minutes left to that task), double-check the addresses on my maildrop boxes, check my email and knock out a few more billable hours before tonight, and trust things look better in the morning. No doubt they will.

As they say, you never step in the same stream twice. If today is unpleasant, that's no promise that tomorrow will follow suit.

-- Hat, 2012 NOBO AT

Updated 02-26-2012 at 12:36 by bgood360

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments