WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

elytis

Want to thru hike so badly.

Rate this Entry
about a year ago I made the decision to thru-hike the entire AT. I figured out I would like to do it southbound so as to avoid over-crowding of shelters and hostels. I soon came to the realization that I would need aloooot of money in order to due a complete thru-hike. This sad fact has put the thoughts of hiking on the back burner but with every youtube video, book, or blog I read the more it builds inside me. I see the spectacular views in videos and say to myself "I want to be there and see that". I want to stand ontop of Springer Mtn and look north and say to myself...I walked over 2000 miles to stand here today.

Just thinking about it gives me a nervous/excited feeling in my stomach. Could I do it? Could I walk through the down pouring rain for 2 weeks straight and still want to get up and do it again the next day? I ask myself these questions and all I can think of is..Why wouldn't I?

I don't know how long it will take me to save the money up but when I do...thats the last you will hear from me for 6 months.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

How about just doing a couple section hikes first?
    That's what I'm doing.
    Sure, I'd love to just take off for six months and just do it.
    But in the meantime, there are a lot of things I need to learn first.
    I also can't afford to take months of from work to thru hike. But the way I look at it the AT isn't going anywhere. Me and a friend of mine are going to do a section a year starting with Georgia up to NC September of next year. This way we are in no rush we can take our time and really enjoy what nature has to offer and take in as much of the experience that we can.
    Wish I could afford to thru hike right now, but like jalbright79 said it will be there when I am ready. Until then there are a whole lot miles to be hiked within reasonable driving distance of MA so I am starting there with section hikes, hopefully that will hold me over. Starting in CT end of April and working my way north through the spring/summer/fall always looking for someone to share the trail with if interested get in touch. HAPPY HIKING!