WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Bootbanger

Thru-Hike 2013

Rate this Entry
Hello, my trail name is BootBanger and I am going to hike the AT starting from Springer. I plan to start on or about 15 March 2013.

Updated 09-03-2012 at 11:17 by Bootbanger

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I plan on beginning my thru-hike on the same date that you will begin; however, I am not looking for a hiking buddy. I have done that before, and it is a difficult arrangement. I find that it is more fun to meet people along the way and, if things work out, end up hiking with a few people who have a similar hiking pace and interests. I'd be happy to correspond as we prepare for this exciting adventure...Slow n' Steady
    If you are starting on April 1st then we may just see each other. After reading your reply, I kinda agree with you about meeting people on the trail instead of finding a partner beforehand. Thanks for your reply and I will probably do the same as you.....just meet a bunch of people along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow n' Steady
    I plan on beginning my thru-hike on the same date that you will begin; however, I am not looking for a hiking buddy. I have done that before, and it is a difficult arrangement. I find that it is more fun to meet people along the way and, if things work out, end up hiking with a few people who have a similar hiking pace and interests. I'd be happy to correspond as we prepare for this exciting adventure...Slow n' Steady
    I think I may be starting at the beginning of March becaues at my age, 68, then 69 in March 2013, getting to Maine starting in April might be tough. I too have retired from the military plus another career, and I'll be resigning this after Jan 1st, 2013. If you change your start date, let me know. If not, I'll probably see you on the trail as you'll probably catch me.
    Hello from Geneva! I also have the 01 April 2013 as my target date to leave on the trail and would be interested to start off with another person - at least for a few days - or more depending on walking style & personality. At least, we could share a taxi from the airport! I'll be an early retiree as of December 2012 so the AT is going to be my new activity! I'm a hiker & go to the Crossfit gym. Hope our paths will cross! Evecolombettes
    Good day, Boot Ranger, I am going to hike the trail as well when I retire from the military in 2016. I too joined in 1996, did you do service elswhere, because you should have 4 more years to go if you are doing 20 years. Good luck with your planning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cure
    Good day, Boot Ranger, I am going to hike the trail as well when I retire from the military in 2016. I too joined in 1996, did you do service elswhere, because you should have 4 more years to go if you are doing 20 years. Good luck with your planning.
    My trail name is BootBanger, not Ranger. However, I was an Army Ranger. Congrats on your 2016 retirement from service. I mad a mistake when I wrote that I came in in 1997. I was rushing thru my typing and meant to write 1976. I was in for 20 years and 18 days. I spent time in Germany, Korea, Ft. Polk, Ft. Leonard Wood, and over in the big sandbox.

I am having a difficult time planning this hike. I read all sorts of things that people do and some people contrast others in different things. I think I will just put on my Ranger and Sapper tabs and go for it.

I originally wanted to thru hike the AT in 1997, but things prevented me from doing it. I am totally ready for this in 2013. I will be 55 years old. I still run marathons, I am one of the Ft. Leonard Wood's racquetball top competitors and I am in really good physical condition, so I think I will do fine.