WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Rains2girl

We're finally going!

Rate this Entry
I've finally convinced my husband, 4Fevertryin, that we've got to hike the AT. I found an information packet from the ATC dated Nov, 2007 so it's only taken about 5 years to convince him! He became convinced after going geocaching with me and realizing how nice (and quiet) it is to be out in the woods!

Our first adventure will be in April of 2013, to hike from Amicalola Falls SP on the AT approach trail to Unicoi Gap. That's 8.8 miles plus 52.9 so about 60 miles in 8 days. We just can't wait to get out there!

We've got our boots and packs, poles and stools (for sitting) and our tent but are a little confused about what to bring to wear. We live in Florida and so are not sure what the weather will be like in the mountains of Georgia in April. I've posted to the forums and hopefully will get some good advice!

We've tried some of the prepackaged meals and will probably rely pretty heavily on those for nourishment and plan to purchase a Steri-pen Journey for water treatment. We'll only be camping on the trail for 5 nights out of the eight we plan to hike, taking advantage of available accomodations along the trail.

Working now on rain gear, base layers, if needed and clothing to bring. Still need to choose sleeping bags and pads, and a way to heat water for food. I'm sure many, many other things to consider and I've got lists and post-its everywhere.

Also need to make arrangements for a shuttle from Unicoi to Amicalola Falls SP.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good luck.

I assume you are aware how many hikers will be on that part of the trail will be in April.

If company is what you desire, you wont be lacking for it.:)

As section hikers, and slow paced ones at that, you will be in a literal sea of *aspiring* thru hikers at that time. Some will be congenial, many will keep to others of their kind, trying to forge early friendships and cliques, and you may even encounter a few attitudes of snobbery or superiority. Dont let it bother you.
    Updated 08-02-2012 at 20:19 by MuddyWaters
    Unless you're really out of shape you can easily average 12, 14 miles per day. There is something to be said for going slow. Keep the pack below 30 lbs. and make sure your hiking boots are broke in & that you bought one size larger than you normally wear. Do gym work before you start. Purchase a guide that details resupplies and has town maps, Awol's guide for example. I'm 51, have section hiked the AT for several years, and should finish in 2014. I'm excited as I leave for a 100 mile trip starting in Rutland Vt, in early September! Hiking the AT is the best ongoing experience I have ever had. What MuddyWaters says of Thru-Hikers is generally true. Most folks on the trail do have one common theme, the need get away. It is a very social trial. Good luck.
    Unless you're really out of shape you can easily average 12, 14 miles per day. There is something to be said for going slow. Keep the pack below 30 lbs. and make sure your hiking boots are broke in & that you bought one size larger than you normally wear. Do gym work before you start. Purchase a guide that details resupplies and has town maps, Awol's guide for example. I'm 51, have section hiked the AT for several years, and should finish in 2014. I'm excited as I leave for a 100 mile trip starting in Rutland Vt, in early September! Hiking the AT is the best ongoing experience I have ever had. What MuddyWaters says of Thru-Hikers is generally true. Most folks on the trail do have one common theme, the need get away. It is a very social trail. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters
    Good luck.

I assume you are aware how many hikers will be on that part of the trail will be in April.

If company is what you desire, you wont be lacking for it.

As section hikers, and slow paced ones at that, you will be in a literal sea of *aspiring* thru hikers at that time. Some will be congenial, many will keep to others of their kind, trying to forge early friendships and cliques, and you may even encounter a few attitudes of snobbery or superiority. Dont let it bother you.
    Are you suggesting that we don't go? I've read in several different places that everyone should "hike their own hike" and that is exactly what we plan to do. Thanks for the advice but in the future, positive comments only, please
    congrats, my wife and I are doing out first AT trip as Well
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Peyton
    congrats, my wife and I are doing out first AT trip as Well
    Thanks, Jeremy. It's so exciting!
    [QUOTE=Rains2girl;bt7885]Are you suggesting that we don't go? I've read in several different places that everyone should "hike their own hike" and that is exactly what we plan to do. Thanks for the advice but in the future, positive comments only, please:D[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not! I was just cautioning that that part of the trail can get a bit crazy at [I]that[/I] time.
    I do know someone that did exactly what you are planning this past April, and they were a bit offended that they seemed to be snubbed by some thruhikers. Just have to realize that there may be 20 new thruhikers at a shelter, they all have something in common with each other, but not with you. Most will be considerably younger too. Naturally, they tend to hang and talk with each other mostly.

Thats all part of it if you are into it with the right mind set and expectations. You are sure to meet many interesting people and have some great memories. Good luck, and HYOH!
    Updated 08-12-2012 at 02:22 by MuddyWaters