WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

MadisonStar

The Count Down Begins...

Rate this Entry
I am sure all that are planning on doing the AT in 2013 are pinching themselves... are we crazy and am I really going to do this. Yes, the gear has been bought, after trying some and seeing new hiking gear I now have enough for two people! The pack with 4 days of food is around 30lbs. Did some winter camping and hiking to make sure I had enough warm stuff to start with - getting a pair of Canadian wool socks for at night, especially going through the Smokies in March. Counting down 30 days till we start in Springer! The last month preparing all of the food and getting the food drops organized. Can't wait to start the adventure and see all of you out on the trail.

MadisonStar
Tags: sherri Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Down to 24 days now, and getting all the questions about how much will the backpack weigh, and will I be able to take a shower; yes it will get gross and I will be dirty! I have wanted to do this trip for the last 30 years. For the last six months I have been diligently preparing for it; reading all the books and buying all the right equipment. Since this is my first really long backpack trip - no I have no idea how I will handle this. I cannot control the weather and I really have no idea how the strain and drain will be as I go day in and day out walking. I just got done reading a very good book about being psychologically ready for the hike (Appalachian Trials: The Psychological and Emotional Guide to Successfully Thru-Hiking The Appalachian Trail by: Zach Davis ) and the author said to write down why you are doing this, because when you come to your low on the trail and you ask yourself.. why the heck am I out here… you can pull out your reasons why to keep you going. So here is my list:

1) I am thankful to God that I have this opportunity and I am able to do this journey in our country.
    2) It has been a 30 year dream and I can't get it out of my mind.
    3) Every day I will be toning my body and hopefully losing the fat!!
    4) I will learn to live in the moment and my only job will be to walk.
    5) It will only last 4 months - whether good or bad it will end.
    6) I will have 4 months off from work! Yahoo!!
    7) Today I am healthy to do this hike!
    8) I have the finances to do this hike.

Will I finish the 4 months, I have no idea. All I know is that I am following a dream to do this. I have prepared for this for 6 months and on March 2nd I will step forward on the Appalachian Trail at Springer. I may make it a week, a month or all four but, I am proud that I am following a dream whether I finish it or not! Remember, it's about the journey and what God has in store to show you.