WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Turtle'13

A Journey of 2000 Miles Begins With a Single Step...

Rate this Entry
...I can't believe I used that awful cliche. Guess it shows that I'm a little nervous about actually starting the hike. Figured it would be good to leave Springer on my 65th birthday -- March 30 -- but if anyone thinks that's too late (the date, not my age!) please let me know. Besides my family, my interests are writing, photography, fishing and ham radio. Hopefully I can work all of them into my hike at one point or another. As others have said, got the gear, practiced some hikes, broken in the new boots, yadayadayada.

I've read about a gazillion books on hiking the AT but that's probably a drop in the bucket compared to actually putting one foot ahead of another and actually doing it. I'm really looking forward to it, though. Slowly at first. Maybe I should use "Turtle" as a trail name .

So anyway, that's enough for my first test journal entry. Still deciding if the iPhone is enough or if carrying the iPad is worthwhile for photos and writing. Between the tech stuff, a little fishing gear, a tiny ham radio and a decent camera, my pack is already overweight. Hmmm. Maybe the KISS approach would be better. Ciao for now.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized