WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

rka001

Hike Thru? well maybe

Rate this Entry
I got the fever. It started back up about this time last year. It was in remission for over 20 years and then with just a visit to an outdoor sporting good store it started back up. I left the store with a book and one book turned into 7-8 books. So after purchasing my backpack, a sleeping bag, and Santa bringing many other items I am nearly ready to start my hike. However, I don't think those 20 year old guidebooks and maps will be useful now.

Will it be a long walk in the woods or a hike thru time and circumstances will tell. I have been saving and it just so happens that my job will be changing. I don't know if it is God's Will or if the stars are aligning in my favor but I will be starting my hike in about a month. I will be solo hiking for the most part but no way would I say that I am doing this by myself. If it wasn't for my encouraging loving husband I would not have the inter-strength to follow my dreams and to challenge myself. I really don't know how long I can be away from him other than that I think I could do a hike thru.

I am out of shape, like so many others, so I have been hiking at Pilot Mt. State Park on my days off work. I have put my resignation in at work and preparing for another position upon my return to the real life. So I am preparing for my hike pretending I am on the trail walking 3-5 miles when I can. There is so much advise out there about hiking that it can really get confusing. Do you pack a ground cover for under your tent or not. Do I go with a 16 inch sleeping pad or 20 inch? Beside the answers to those questions I am hung up on my clothes. I am thinking about going with two pairs of hiking pants but my tops are sketchy still, and a jacket? Any suggestion? If you have read this far into my story I will try to be more entertaining next time, or maybe the next. Starting this journal is all most as hard as making the commitment to go.

Happy Hiking hiker fans
rka001
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized