WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

wcrews

Hiking the AT in section

Rate this Entry
I am planning to hike the AT but would like to do it a section at a time. I would like to start in Georgia and plan to hike a month to a month and a half each summer. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I also section hike that amount of time. Springer to Erwin TN this year. Hit me on Facebook at "topat2011" I'd be glad to help.
    I live in the area and would be more than willing to talk to you: [email protected]. I have hiked the first 932 miles of the trail. We call the Georgia section "the saw teeth" with the ups/downs but hey, that is half of the fun! ! Georgia is for the most part hotter than North Carolina and Tennessee because the mean elevation is lower in Georgia than of the preceeding states. I would strongly recommend a May start to combat the heat.
    I have been hiking northbound 25-35 days on the AT in sections since 2007 and hope to finish the last section next year. What worked well for me and made it much more fun is this. I recommend you start in Georgia with the thru hikers in March and each year get back on the trail the date you stopped. This way, each year you will be hiking with thru hikers and others which makes it much more fun. You experience the weather and conditions as if you were thru hiking. Doing a long section hike each year also has the benefit of keeping one in excellent physical shape. Enjoy!!