WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends

Damascus to Partnership Shelter, a week of extremes.

Rate this Entry
Sitting in the library in Marion, VA. Hiked 14 miles yesterday and surprisingly, it didn’t kill me. I prefer less mileage but was rewarded with a shelter that has showers, a dumpster for trash, a sink to do laundry and shuttle service from town (50 cents) and pizza delivery.
There’s a large group of us here. These folks have hiked from Georgia, through 2 plus feet of snow in the Smokies, and still have a sense of humor. The trail names are inventive: Little Engine, Ambassador, Movie Star, Rainbow braids, Mr. Frodo, Mud Mouth, Carl from Germany – who’s English isn’t great, Mainiac the III, 180, Wolfgang. Well, you get the picture. Last night they made a great bonfire and pulled out the guitars and harmonicas. Oddly, no one could think of a single song everyone might know the words to. I didn’t suggest Home on the Range for fear they might not know it. To say I’m the oldest around is putting it mildly. However, they seem to have no problem with that and ask lots of questions about “what’s up North.”
The weather was at both extremes until the 22nd. Two nights at 5000 feet were below 20 degrees and windy. Now the sun is out but the wind is cold. That makes for excellent hiking, no over- heating at all. We do make lots of wardrobe adjustments. Vest on, vest off, hat on, hat off, gloves …always on till at least noon. No one is in shorts without tights yet.
Flowers are beginning to show and the trees that are not evergreens like rhoddies and pines are beginning to unfurl their leaves. Soon the views down into the valleys and gaps will disappear into the green tunnel. We are lucky that we have seen the vistas despite the chill.
Here in Marion everyone is resupplying for the long haul to Bland. Nothing to speak of for the next 56 miles. 5 days of food for me. About 3 for the young’ns. The final 3 days will likely be in rain. But as long as it doesn’t snow we are all happy.
My feet are holding up well, I’ve lightened my pack by a couple pounds and there’s plenty of water everywhere. Pretty much everything a hiker could ask for. And since the snow is still on the ground in Anchorage, I’ll keep hiking (or ambling in my case).
You all keep walking, hiking and ambling too.
Fireweed
Categories
Uncategorized