WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Catdog

Training for AT

Rate this Entry
We have made the decision to start preparing to hike the AT. We live in New Jersey and own property in Maine. Never really did any major hiking before, but am starting now since we both retired. Started doing short local hikes and buying some gear. We have Golite packs and will be ordering a 3 person Golite tent soon. Planning to start the AT in 2015 and doing about half of it, and then finishing it in 2016. Been watching all related videos on Youtube, reading books, and scoping out gear. Any advice welcomed.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

get out and hike haha. best advice there is. but try out different set ups for everything including tent, bags, cook kits, and clothing and really think about what will last those 1000+ miles. and do local trail with your full pack including a few days worth of food or equivalent weights to get used to having it for 3 months or however long half of it will take. many other things to train but others will give better advice than me.... I'm from NJ also and planning on thru next march so I'm somewhat in the same boat
    Going to be doing the Botana Trail (50 Miles) Later this year. Been walking with pack and pulled groin muscle first day out. Ouch! Maybe doing some of the AT later this year with a boy scout troop (50 Miles) and then a trip to NY for a mountains hike for a week. Starting to get my gear purchased. So many options and everything has a trade off. But all in all, it has been fun up to this point in time.