WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Epoling

Week 1

Rate this Entry
Day 1: Springer Mountain to Hawk Mountain 8.6 miles
Made good time and the rain held off till about 2. Walked an hour in the rain to find the shelter packed full. Squeezed in, intending to head on once the rain stopped. Decided to stay when I realized it was 8 more miles to the next shelter and it would likely be crowded too. Slept great and met some good people. Traded a shot of whiskey for a beer.
Day 2: Hawk mountain to Gooch Shelter
had a hell of a time repacking my bag and finally got all 50lbs in. Not much for views yet as the canopy obscures view.
day 3. Gooch-Neels gap 15 miles
long day today. 15+ miles. blood mountain was awesome, good clear view. Would have camped there but no water source. Continued down to neels gap and was greeted by the world famous Pirate cooking some fat ribs on the grill. Decided to hostel here and ate like a king Showered and slept great.
Day 4. Neels gap - camped past hogpen gap. 8 mmiles
got my pack shook down from 50lbs to under 30. Got a different sleeping bag because my Coleman 0degree was 8lbs and took up about half my pack. Mailed home 20lbs. Slept in the rain in my "tent". Miserable wet boring night.
Day 5 hogpen gap-blue mt shelter. 12 miles
met up with Jabs. Bought his air mattress becaus he was gonna send it home and my 4$ pool floatie got a hole ( not surprised).
Day 6 blue mountain- tray mountain.
Major climbing and dropping today. The downs are much harder than the ups. Atleast 15 min more per mile for me. Right knee was really bothering me so I stayed at tray mountain. Had some nice company and had a a great view of an incoming thunderstorm.
Day 7. Tray mountain- dicks creek gap 12 miles
made great time today, made the gap by 2 and tjs shuttle picked me up and took me into hiawassee. Goin for some AYCE now. Hoping to be out of Georgia by tomorrow night.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized