WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Lone_Star

Trail update - June 5th - Reds Meadow Resort

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Star View Post
Quote Originally Posted by i_Hike View Post
JMT Kearsarge Pass Junction - 10760 ft
Top of Kearsarge Pass - 11760 ft
Onion Valley - about 9000 ft
Independence - about 5000 ft
We hitched down here. Very easy. You do not want to walk. Yes, MT Williamson charges $40. But you can see why when you see road.
And don't be fooled. 7.5 miles to Onion Valley in not all downhill... 3.5 miles up to the pass, and then 4 miles down hill. I would avoid resupply here if you can. From the JMT we are only about 35 miles to top of Whitney, and having to hike 15 miles off the trail to resupply for 2-3 days doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. MTR should be opening up soon for resupply.

getting ready for free/built in breakfast at MT Williamson Motel, than a very tough 7.5 back to the trail (we paid for shuttle back to trail head, as we are trying to leave early) Nearly 3000 ft up in 4 miles...hoping to get as close to Guitar lake tomorrow night as possible
Enjoy
Thanks for the info. I was planning to get off the JMT @ Kearsarge and head into Independence for a zero day because it looks like a long, hard haul from the Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney. I'll be fully packed out when I leave VVR, but by Kearsarge I will be in need of resupply and some R&R. I know the MTR has a store for one last top-off of supplies, but I'm not sure how well stocked they are? I do not have a permit yet, so I do not know what day I will start the JMT or when I will be at the MTR, so I'm choosing NOT to send drops. Logistically, it seems simpler to resupply at stores along the way (Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow/Mammoth Lake, VVR, MTR, Independence). I hope that's a doable option - if not, holla! Have a great hike!
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized