WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Hawkhiker

Upcoming AT Hike in October

Rate this Entry
I'd sure appreciate some suggestions on a hike we are putting together for some Boy Scouts and their dads with some hiking experience. We'd like to start somewhere near the GA-NC line as we are travelling from south Georgia. We'll be putting in and trying to get around 40 miles. The trip is 10/11-10/15. This is one of several hikes leading up to the Philmont Scout Ranch hike next summer. I was thinking Rock Gap to Burningtown to Nantahala to Stecoah Gap but wonder if this is too strenuous based on some reviews.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I suggest you start from Springer Mtn and hike to Neel Gap. Would be much easier than your intended route. From the NOC to Steoah Gap is some of the toughest in this area. Going from Springer is a five mile descent to get started and the other parts are not bad except climbing to the top of Blood Mtn which does reward you with the best views in Ga on the AT. Good luck
    Not really necessary to do anything but overnights to prepare for Philmont.

Preparation hikes do zero conditioning, just cant do them months apart and have any lasting effects on the body.

But, it can prepare them mentally. And the harder the better for that up to a point of course, many have NO IDEA what to expect when they put a pack on, they think it will be an easy stroll like on flat ground. The first good hill climb is a real eye opener. At least it will put fear in them to work to get in shape and stay that way till Philmont.

Logistics and parking would play a central role in selecting where you hike I would think. There are only a handful of places I would want to leave my vehicle to hike to it. The safest, are without a doubt Amicalola state park, and Fontana Dam.
    Hey man!
    I'm from Atlanta and my dad and I are doing Springer to blood those same days! How to see y'all out there!