WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Siarl

AT Thru-Hike planned for March 2015 NOBO.

Rate this Entry
I am originally from Galax, VA and have spent most of my young years up to the age of 21 in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Now the opportunity has arrived for me to be able to hike the Appalachian Trail all the way through. If everything works out then I will be able to hike the entire length of the Appalachian Trail. I want to be able to revisit and renew my relationship with the mountains that I grew up with and are a part of my heritage.

I've been reading and viewing videos on youtube from those who have done the Appalachian Trail and it is just about all I can do to keep myself from hopping on the trail right now instead of waiting.

I've been researching gear lately and looking into the available options. I really enjoy nature photography with a special emphasis on the macro end of the scale. I'm hoping to catch the native wildflowers that especially flourish within the Appalachians. The Mountain Laurel, The Galax leaf, The Appalachian Wild Lilly with it's bright orange to red petals.

I'm also going to try to see family for a few of those days while hiking through VA and NC and friends in GA prior to beginning the trail.

I currently live 3 miles outside of Big Bend National Park. From now until the time arrives for me to do the hike on the AT I will be hiking for practice inside the BBNP and outside of the National Park as well. Right now I'm hiking about five miles two to three times a week. I'll be working my way up till I'm hiking at least 15 miles per day with a pack.

I have had Crohn's Disease since '97 and recently diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy. Currently my worries are few and I feel lucky that I am as healthy as I am. So I am also in training to see if my legs can take the miles and to see if I can keep myself hydrated enough during the hikes which can be a problem for those with IBD issues.

The anticipation is killing me. In the meantime I guess I will survive by feeding my brain more books, info, and inspiration by viewing videos and reading other's trail journals.

Siarl

Updated 11-17-2013 at 23:48 by Siarl

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized