WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Affirmative

2 months until launch off!

Rate this Entry
Height: 5"8
Pulse(standing): 69bpm
Blood Pressure (sitting): 112/70
Weight: 159 lbs
Body Mass Index: 24.2
Body Surface Area: 1.85 m2

Lifestyle habits leading up to this day -
Worked 36-52 hours a week. Work days meant sitting for about 13 hours, driving about 2 hours, and sleeping 6-8 hours. No exercise whatsoever. Typically did light indoor rock climbing for 4-6 hours a week, ran less than 8 miles a week, and did maybe a handful of situps, pushups, pullups, and other body weight exercises.
My diet also sucked considering that I did not have time to cook my own meals or even make a quick lunch most of the time. Ate a lot of fast food; Mexican, subway, Panda Express, Jack in a Box, and other crap. I'm surprised I didn't quit my job earlier. However, due to my awesome genetics, I still look like I'm in shape and might be able to get some modeling gigs off craigslist. awwww yeeeeeeah, who wants to pay to see me in chonies?

Before getting hired at Heartland (job I just left)
Weight: 150lbs
Pulse: 52bpm
Blood Pressure: 96/60

This was while working overnight shifts for a rehab facility. Ran about 16 miles a week, went to a Jiu Jitsu gym ~10 hours a week, went to EMT school part time, and only ate real food. Think my blood pressure was low due to working graveyard hours and getting a decent amount of cardio in throughout the week.

I'm now gradually increasing my physical activity as I prepare for the thru-hike. Also eating a hell of a lot better. Will probably eat junk once in awhile to keep my body in check. I expect I'll eat anything remotely digestible while on the trail.

Right now my room is scattered with gear and my bed has simply become an over sized rectangular shelf. The futon is covered with emergency gear, my tent scattered all around the floor, and my desk has turned into a big fat pile of maybe. I've been sleeping on the bathroom floor and tonight I'm sleeping outside. That's actually not saying anything at all. I'm in San Diego where the weather is either sunny or extra sunny. The land of California burritos and Ron Burgundy. The weather forecast says tonight will have a low of 42 degrees (Carlsbad, SD). On paper that may sound formidable to your typical San Diegan, but let's face it - getting up to pee in the middle of the night is not an ordeal. Unless you're so comfortable that you sleep walked your way over to the closet thinking that it's the toilet.

San Diego basically is the place to live a lifetime of bad habits. I briefly looked into hiking the start of the Pacific Crest Trail for a couple weeks but the need to hunt down the proper authorities for the right permits has semi dissuaded me. There's like one permit that takes a minute to fill out... whatever. I finally have a good opportunity to finally put all my college textbooks to good use - weight in my pack for training!

Comments