WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

dandelionwine

NOBO in March - getting ready

Rate this Entry
Less than a month stands between me and the AT!! A few q's for you folks who have done it already..

What kind of weather should I be expecting in the southern portion during mid March? I plan on bringing a down jacket and lots of layers. Sleeping in a hammock w/ an insulation system. Hoping that's warm enough?

Also, how much water are folks carrying at any one time? I was thinking 2L and then get to water by dinner for cooking. This should work for at least the southern region, right?

How often do AT&T users have cell reception? There are a few people I need to keep in touch with. I'm worried I may only be able to speak to them when resupplying in town.

Can't wait to see you out there beautiful people. xx Dandelion.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I am by no means majorly experiences on the at but everything u said is exactly my thoughts as well
    Hey dandelionwine, first, this year, mid-March is looking to be a bit chilly, I would expect temps to get down in the teens and 20's in the gaps, a down jacket and layers are suggested. Secondly, what sort of an insulation system for your hammock? The southern region is full of streams and water sources, 2 liters should be the max you need to carry, most thru-hikers carry only a liter at one time through to NC, of course water conditions vary from season to season. As for AT&T, it will be spotty, you may only get reception on the top of some mountains. I would recommend carrying a cheap flip-phone through Verizon if you need reliable cell service.
    2L is fine for the most part. 2013 Starting out was very cold between not being able to dry out stuff and the wind chill. With wind chills many nights were below 0. We started after the ATKO first week of March. Had to get off trail due to health problems but layers is the only way to go. Gloves was the only thing we had problems with not sure what kind works the best. But HYOH and take your time and enjoy I'm looking forward to get back to finish my thru. Hoping for 2015. Good luck and have fun.
    Hello DL. Our son did the AT last year, 2013. I am his dad and I tried to follow his where abouts along the trail. He left Springer in March and finished at Katahdin in October. He was not in a hurry. I went to Katahdin to pick him up when he finished. He did not contact my wife and I hardly at all. He did stop at the house and spend a few days when he came thru here. The AT goes thru our town, Wallingford, VT. Hope to follow your journey, hope you don't mind. I followed a couple of hikers last year. It was fun and very interesting. Be well, Mike G.