WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

skylar24

Long trail question

Rate this Entry
Does anyone know the direction that most people start? and also what time of year is the busiest?
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Most people hike it going north but you really could do it either way I think. I hiked it northbound this summer and it was great. The southern section of the trail is relatively easy and a good chance to get your trail legs before the tougher sections in the middle and north. Most people start hiking it sometime after the start of July, when black fly season is mostly over. I started it on July 5th this year and it was great. Only got bothered by bugs a few times. There are lots of people on the southern 100 miles of the trail, as it coincides with the AT. Most of those brave folk are coming through in July and August so the shelters get pretty crowded. Lots of cool people to meet. I've heard from a few Vermont natives that the best time to hike it is in the fall. No bugs, less people and the foliage. It's an awesome trail, I can't wait to hike it again.
    People hike it from May to September/October (depending on weather).
    I ended up doing it South to North and it took me 28 days. We started July 10th, the weather was perfect. Mild days with crisp cool nights..