WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

JBandStacy2014

Day #1 was rough

Rate this Entry
12/11/14 8:12am
Ok, this has been the coldest experience of my entire life.We arrived at Amicalola Falls on Tuesday and stayed the night at the shelterthere. We had a few things to do before we started. Then yesterday was day #1.It was as cold as it can get. I am notsure how smart this winter thru hike was, but oh well, we are gonna keep going.Day #1, we officially hiked to Frosty Mountain and set up camp. I need to learnhow to build a fire ASAP. We hiked 4.8 miles on day #1 and our packs were heavyas hell. We definitely have some changes to make in the coming weeks or we willstruggle more than I thought. Today, we are gonna finish up to Springer andthen stop at Stover Creek Shelter to get down off the mountain.

Tear Drop

8:19am
Holy **** it's cold!!! I don't ever want to hear anotherFROSTY THE SNOWMAN song ever again in my entire life....
Day 1 – We set up camp and I made us our first dinner Itwasn't bad!! It's insanely cold but I managed to pee outside!
Packs are heavy, it's cold, but I still somehow love it.

Redemption

12/11/14 7:10pm
Today was a great day! We set a goal (2 goals) and met themboth before nightfall. I have to admit it was a little touch and go at someparts – with the lack of hydration and the steep inclines – but we made it toour shelter. I have to say I am so proud of us as a team…when one wasstruggling, the other was there to pick them up. I know I have the bestpartner. Black Gap shelter is VERY nice and it’s keeping the wind off of us, soBONUS POINTS!! Tomorrow is Springer and the beginning of the actual AT! I amSOOOOO OVER the blue blazes…bring on the white ones!!
I love you TD!!!

Redemption

7:16pm
Ok, come to find out that yesterday, we only hiked like 1.6miles…lol…Today we did around 6 miles. I am very optimistic following today’sprogress. I really questioned a few times today whether hiking was even for us.The magic moment for me came when we were filtering water for the first time. Iknew after that break and conversation that we would be ok on this trail. Sheseems dedicated and ready to finish. I LOVE that and love knowing that I havethe perfect partner. Tomorrow, we will be hiking almost 10 miles includingSpringer….See yall then!

Tear Drop
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized