WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Me and the Cisco Kid

Test Drive

Rate this Entry
In the past month I've gradually been acquiring gear, researching a bunch, talking and emailing people, etc. etc.

Main issue for me has been acquiring properly fitting orthotics, which I hope to get this week. (Kind of important for proper foot and knee function!)

Six week away from departure. We've been having a ton of rain in south Louisiana--similar, I'm sure, to the tons of snow in the northeast. It's given me "excuses" but today was a nice enough day for an outing. The first day for my hiking partner, Cisco (a 3-year-old English Springer Spaniel) and I to get out and test drive our new packs, and me new footwear. His pack was empty, mine just had a couple liters of water. Easy start.

Cisco's pack is a Small Ruffwear Approach, mine a S/M Gregory Wanderer 52L. Cisco promptly roughed up his pack, banging it against trees and branches, lying down in mud puddles. My pack fit well, and while a "youth" pack, it is a good choice for a small torso. As I've seen commented elsewhere, it does fit close to your back--which feels secure--but I can see it won't allow for a lot of airflow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-03-14 AT test drive.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	416.5 KB 
ID:	30220
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized