WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Johnny Walker R.E.D.

Wet Cold Day

Rate this Entry
From Dicks Creek Gap, I hiked 11.5 miles. Took me from Georgia into North Carolina. The trail wasn't easy. The last 3 miles were a very tough climb! This took me to Muscrat Creek Shelter. I awoke without rain for one of the few times.

Hiked 9.3 miles to Beach Gap and attended to my duct-taped toes. I awoke to no rain, again. That didn't last long, however, and it rained and rained.

I hiked 11.8 miles to Long Branch Shelter, one of the newer and nicest shelters I've seen so far. It was a two-year old, double decker shelter. Everybody talked about getting up early and catching a shuttle to Franklin, North Carolina to re-outfit.

The physical aspect of hiking is one thing on the AT. The mental is another! Hiking in the foggy, rainy forest leads your mind towards mostly thinking of family while I'm hiking ...and it's just not my immediate family. I find myself thinking of even brother, sisters, nieces, and nephews, etc. which is much more than many people on this hike have.

(I've not always done the right thing and for those times, I truly apologize to everyone.) I've even thought that if my father was still alive and sitting next to my mother, following me online as I attempt this hike, I believe I would be the luckiest man in the world!

Tomorrow --
Looking forward to a pancake breakfast at a local church. It has everyone excited. Then it is back to the traiil for more wonderful misery!
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized