WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

gram cracker

Would this be considered a thru-hike?

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by gram cracker View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
A pushcart? Why don't you look at a Dixon Roller Pack DIXON it may be a lot easier than pushing anything. And as luck would have it if you think it will work for you, I just happen to know of one that could be available at a good price. BTW this trip sounds awesome!
I've been using a pushcart. It is easy to push and I actually walk a bit faster while pushing it. The constraint is those two 78 mile days. Most people do it in two days. I haven't tested it, but I'd probably have to carry about 8 gallons of water which is 64 pounds. Add another 20 pounds of gear and it's too much for a pack. There are many legs where it's 50 miles or so between water sources. I know it's doable as Mr. Lee hiked these parts last summer during his walk across America.

I've worked through all the reasons why it can't be done and found solutions for those. This summer, I'll be taking some practice trips in Colorado to see if the reality is harsher than the planning. Surprisingly, the heat hasn't been a problem. I've hiked many days when it was over 100 degrees. My body acclimated so I didn't notice it. My water consumption dropped dramatically as I acclimated. If the walk is less than 15 miles, I don't carry any water and I still piss clear at the end of the walk. The key is taking a couple minute break in shade, if I can find it, every couple of miles.

Just to be clear, the chances of me attempting this trip are small as some things in my life will have to work out. I'll start getting social security in June and I have a military pension, so money isn't the problem anymore.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized