WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

sunshineb

hikes north of Clayton, GA

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
Quote Originally Posted by kilarney1902 View Post
i guess now my question is, how do i get to standing indian campground/ backcountry parking lot? I will be heading there from N. GA, i assume that i will go through clayton (heading north on 441) what is the best way from there? google directions seem a tad flaky, so help me out. also what are any issues with parking fees permits etc.
No it is free to park in the back country info center or at Rock Gap parking lot.If you turn into the campground and stop at the checkin there is a parking lot on the left but there is a fee.

Here is something for you folks coming thru Clayton,Ga to check out sometime.On 441 four miles north of the Ga/NC state line turn left onto Coweeta Lab Road.Go 3 miles and the pavement will end becoming FS83.

Keep on this rd 7 miles as you will pass Pickins Nose Notch Trail and cross the A T at Mooney Gap.When the road ends it will be FS67,If you turn right it will be 2 miles to Mt Albert and Bear Pen Gap.At the end of FS83 you turn left it is 6 miles to Standing Indian Campground.All this is marked very good.

On FS67 you can access Betty Creek Trail,Mooney Falls Trail,Timber Ridge Trail,Laural Falls Trail,Beech Gap Trail,Lower side of Bear Pen Trail,Blackwell Gap Trail,Hurricane Creek Trail,Long Branch Trail and as the road turns back to pavement again the back country parking is on your left where you can access Standing Indian Campground and get to the Low Ridge Trail and the trails on Kimsey Creek.Straight ahead is Rock Gap and the roads end into old 64 at Wallace Gap.

I hope I didn't go over board putting this much info but if anyone is wondering about any of these trails here is how to get to them.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized