WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Trail Wing

I'm Back after a 2 yr Hiatus!

Rate this Entry
Some background: 2 yrs ago I planned on doing a section hike from PA (Rt 16) to Harper's Ferry and failed miserably. Although I had read many articles/journals regarding taking care of your feet, the messages just didn't hit home. I thought I had comfortable shoes... I thought I had the good socks... I thought I was cross trained and physically able to handle the stresses of the trail. You may have already figured this out, but boy, was I ever wrong. I managed to make it 11 miles (up High Rock and on through to MD Rt 77) before calling for Plan B. Plan B was my bf picking me up and bringing me home with my "tail between my legs".

I was beat and as bad as my feet and legs hurt I barely walked for the next 3 days. I fell into a depression (that I completely denied for the next 2 yrs). I gained weight (actually gained back 55 pounds that I had previously lost), lost interest in exerising and basically felt like I was a failure.

So my pack and supplies got stuck in a corner until late summer/fall 2015.
I decided I finally had enough toward the end of August. My depression has come to an end and I once again feel drawn to the AT.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

All I can say is good for you! Coming out of a slump myself and making plans to hike a section of the AT in 2016 is giving me motivation. It will be my first time hiking but I'm looking forward to it. Welcome back!
    I'm heading out in march...hope to see ya and good luck.
    Nice to hear your story. Similar feelings here. Had a thru attempt planned for 2014 and as the start date approached....life happened. The feeling that I had let an opportunity to live my dream slip past left me in a funk for nearly a year. Hoping for better times in the near future.