WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Fat Fibromite Fakes Fitness For Freedom/Fun

Step One: Commit to doing it

Rate this Entry
I'll be journaling here so I don't drive my friends crazy with all my planning, figuring, dreaming, etc.

So why did an out of shape, 46 year old woman with fibromyalgia decide she's going to hike a section of the AT with her two dogs? Because when we're out hiking, it's one of the few times I feel completely alive and at peace. It hurts. Walking up and down hills and putting miles on my feet and back HURTS. But then, I always hurt. I hurt just sitting and watching TV. I'd rather be in pain DOING something.

I've read other people's accounts of hiking with their dogs. I've read admonitions to leave the dogs at home. I've seen "only well-trained dogs should go with you". Well, my dogs aren't perfect but they love to be with me, and hiking is something we do together. We'll be training together through the winter to get ready for our little adventure.

I've decided to do a portion of the trail in VA, in the Shenandoah Valley. My choice is for two reasons: it's one of the easier parts of the trail and I have a bunch of friends in the area that I can call upon should the trail defeat me. It won't. I won't let it. I made it through St. Petersburg Russia on my own with merely a map and guide so I can do a few days in my own country.

I have the resolve. I just need to get some gear together. I'll beg, borrow or make what I need, as I'm also doing this on a shoestring budget. But I'm doing it, dammit. It's going to happen.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Hikinfool
    Beltaine Lady: Good for you! Some may think you're in for trouble or dissapointment but my experience teaches its the WILL that counts. I'm also a hiker with chronic pain - a lot of people have physical issues and carrying loads up and down major geography may seem crazy. My mantra is - if you are suffering at home, why not suffer on the trail? I always feel better when surrounded by natural beauty and it more than makes up for any perceived (added) discomfort. I just go slow, listen to my body and try to sleep as comfortably as I can. I pay a lot of attention to my sleep system. I keep hydrated and take ibuprofen. I try not to complain. That's it. BTW, starting in the Shenandoah Valley is probably a good idea. A much more forgiving stretch. Good luck!
    Thank you for the encouragement! I've been looking for people with chronic pain and/or mobility issues to get their input on this.