WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

CedarKeyHiker

Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 11

Rate this Entry
"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir

It's Friday afternoon I wearily drove back across the Number Four and onto Cedar Key. It is nice to be home. I rolled down my window and breathed in the scent given off by the mixture retreating salt water and the muddy bottom of the bayou. My two days with Lefty have just about worn me out. We had what could best be described as a "magnificent time."

The evening listening to David Miller was time well spent. He recounted his AT hike and answered questions throughout his presentation. From having read his book "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail," I knew he had started his adventure with not much experience and had finished it having suffered his fair share of travails. He only mentioned his difficulties when asked specifically about issues he had encountered. He was very positive about the experience. I really liked his speaking style and demeanor. He exhibited a humility that I enjoy when I'm around people who live embraced by the world and not simply a passenger on it.

He was giving his time to help support the Mims-Scottsmoor Friends of the Public Library. He provided quite a draw. It was standing room only. The treasurer of the group gave a short talk about the "Friends" group and explained how it cost $5.00 to join for the year and a little about what they did. After he had finished and as he was leaving the room Lefty caught him and told him he didn't want to join but he would like to donate. The fellow brought back a large plastic pickle jar and set it on the table. Lefty quietly slipped enough cash in the jar to be a life long member. Many of the others in attendance ponied up too and I think they did quite well.

It was good to be back on the island. However, tomorrow is another day. I'm off again. this time to hike with my wife, and Duncan the Wonder Pup a portion of the Florida Trail along the Suwannee River in White Springs. We'll do an overnight and then head back early to be in time to hear our friend Anna sing at the Big Deck Raw Bar. Until later...

Updated 02-01-2016 at 08:59 by CedarKeyHiker

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments