WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

ajcajonel

Free at last!

Rate this Entry
For the past eight years, I have worn a military uniform, but come 1 May, I am a free man bound for Washington, DC - and believe me, I'm counting the days. On my back, I will carry the gear that I have researched and acquired over the past calendar year. Within days of my arrival, I will start my thru hike of the Appalachian Trail.

I had planned to begin a traditional thru-hike starting in February or March, but things in the Army never pan out as anticipated - consequently, this delay provided me the time and intellectual space to resource a large portion of my food along the trail. I plan to walk it in the spirit of Earl Shaffer and Ray Jardine - one, to walk the Army out of his system, and the other, to enjoy nature without frills while still eating simply and nutritiously.

I plan to allocate myself 4-5 months to hike the Trail: north to Maine, flight to DC, south to Georgia - I'm a junkie for logistics, and an endurance athlete / adrenaline junkie (that's logistics).

I believe I have all of the gear I need and am currently testing my gear and modifying it as necessary. I am taking a Gossamer Mariposa pack and associated lightweight / UL equipment.

My problem set now is one of sufficiently resourcing food. I have perhaps an overly ambitious goal, which is to prepare all of my own meals from scratch. I've purchased a dehydrator and keep it running around the clock on fruits and vegetables. I plan to use it to dehydrate cooked beans of all varieties too, and have an abundance of rice and grains coming my way too. I just need to figure out how many boxes to send and when... I'm constrained by the fact that my husband will ship my packages to the trail from his military post office in Germany, which adds substantive time to deliveries.

I plan to leave 10-12 pounds of pack weight for food and water, but will have my total weight allowance sorted out within the next few weeks.

And a few questions - how much preparation is too much preparation? Are my ambitions too ambitious? Is relying on food drops every seven days unfeasible? I suppose I will find out.

Whatever happens, I'm very excited to return to America and begin the Trail that has so long captured my aspirations. It's about time.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Just wanted to chime in - I'm a newbie myself and am planning weekly drops as well. My understanding is that you can send early and the drop points will hold packages xx number of days for you. Just a thought ... do you have family stateside that is responsible enough to mail weekly packages? It would be significantly less expensive than sending weeklies from Germany?!? just my $.02
    Hi Elizabeth -

I guess I forgot to mention in my post that I'm married to an American Army officer here in Germany, and as such, we have the benefit of the military postal system, which is tied into the USPS through APO boxes. So, net cost is the same, the only thing I have to take into closer consideration is that it takes about 10 days for a Priority Mail box to get to its destination. That, and sometimes, things get lost, so I'll have a Plan B too. I'm just having too much fun building all of those boxes here now to delegate the task to somebody who doesn't have nearly the time for or interest in my project... and I like the skills I'm learning.