WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

ElizabethClose

Friday in Franklin NC

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
April 26 was my first big day 11 miles!! Crossed the GA-NC line around 4 and wanted a few more miles. Made it to muskrat shelter at8pm. Barely time to set up before dark. Lay there in twilight and heard a hoot owl fight. Struck me
So funny I laughed out loud.
April 27 thunderstorm atop standing Indian mtn. Too much rhododendron so I couldn't see lightning. Rats! But what a neat smell! Fresh rainy mountaintop- too bad you can't get a snapshot of that. Rain let up at 5:30 so I quickly set up - only 9 miles but my
Feet were ready to quit. I lay in hammock reading. Thanked God for a dry place and fell asleep at. 6:30 as rain started in again
April 28. Woke at 4 to sound of silence. Couldn't fall back asleep so I got up and put my headlamp on and packed everything up. 90% chance of rain so I was tickled to take down dry. Hiking in dark is creepy. Thankfully trail was pretty smooth. Just about sunup I stopped at a stream and filtered water. Cooked a hot meal and stored in thermos so I wouldn't have to do that in rain later. Made it to Albert by 4pm CRAZY climb up to top but great pics from tower. Needed water so hiked 2 miles to stream. Didn't feel like stopping so kept on until glassmine. All in all 14 miles and not a drop of rain! Pretty crazy but I'll take it!
April 29 up and out by 6:30. Smooth hike out to winding stair where apparently I was in time for the $3 shuttle to town. Woohoo. Microtel was right by the outfitter I needed to go to so I opted for a room there. Showered and walked To three eagles for a pair of Merrill's so the rocks stop eating my feet. Called in for ULB services. WooHoo this day has been great!!
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized